Thursday, August 9, 2012

Upper and Lower Mission

Margie's sister, Jane, made the adventure with us again today. She is a lot of fun! I think I have laughed more in the last three days than I have in the last month.

Upper Mission was the first lake today. The air was a lot cooler (low 70's) and the lakes are not as warm. Margie and Jane were comfortable, but I was chilled. I miss those 90 degree days when the water was in the mid-80's! Upper Mission was another beautiful swim with the exception of a pontoon boat over-loaded with people. Maybe they thought I was a big fish - they had 6 lines in the water and kept driving nearer and nearer to us increasing their speed. Not sure what that was about? Anyway, we did not get run over and I did not get hooked, so all is good.

Lower Mission was next. On the way there, I put my wetsuit on and was glad I had it along. The wind was starting to pick up and the dark clouds that were floating around all afternoon were increasing. Lower Mission had many random, thick, tall weed patches that caught me by surprise every time. Between the dark water, dark clouds and dark goggles I never saw them until I felt them on my hands and face - not pleasant, but at least they were not throughout the whole swim. On the way back in, the wind had picked up considerably and I felt like I was getting a free ride as they pushed me along. I enjoyed that! Margie and Jane were serenaded by many loons flying overhead - they make such a beautiful sound! Once on shore again, we noticed the sign that said "Infested Water". A good shower for me and a good rub down of the kayaks is in order. It's sad to think many of our beautiful lakes could be taken over by invasive species. Just a reminder to everyone to be extra careful to de-weed and empty any water wells before moving on. We live in such a beautiful area and hopefully we can keep it that way for generations to come.

Thanks to Taco Johns and all the people that came to support us yesterday. It was a very successful evening!

Our next swim will be in Bay on Sunday morning.

The first picture is McGyver and Jane at Upper Mission; the second is at Lower Mission. Only three lakes to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment