Thursday, May 17, 2012

Who are we?? - Part II....

A little about me. I have been a staff member at the Brainerd YMCA since shortly after I moved into the area in 1983. It started as "my job until I get a real job" and grew into a lot more. All four of my children were part of the Day Care family here and were involved in many of the numerous programs that the Y has to offer. All but one were and/or still are part of the aquatics staff.

My passion for swimming started at a young age. As a preschooler, I lived in Cape Cod, Massachusetts for a short period of time. My mom would take my brother and I to the beach every day. My brother was content building sand castles on the beach, but not me!! I ALWAYS wanted to be in the water. Being that my mom was essentially a non-swimmer, this made her very nervous. To keep me from having a melt-down about having to stay out of the water and to save my mom's sanity, she came up with a solution: a rope was tied to the back of my swim suit with a stake on the other end pounded into the beach. I quite literally swam around at the end of my rope until I was hauled in!

No comments:

Post a Comment